Headaches occur often during pregnancy, particularly during the first or third trimesters.
In the first trimester, your body experiences rapid changes in hormones and an increase in blood volume. These effects can trigger headaches. Third trimester headaches are often triggered by tension in the body from carrying extra weight and poor posture.
Additionally, any of the following are reasons why you may experience headaches during pregnancy: lack of sleep, low blood sugar, poor posture, stress, or dehydration.
Try any of these tips to decrease the intensity and frequency of your headaches during pregnancy:
- Practice good posture
- Rest and take time to relax
- Eat healthy meals
- Apply cold or hot packs to your head
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Avoid foods such as cured meats, yogurt, aged cheese, peanuts, and sour cream
- Drink lots of water, particularly if you tend to have morning sickness
Pregnancy is challenging enough as it is, and you don’t need headaches or migraines making it harder! Try any of the methods above to improve your pain, and, as always, come in to see us here at Novera because we love to see you and help you!