Migraines effect nearly 39 million men, women, and children in the United States and about 1 billion worldwide.
Here are some staggering statistics about migraines today around the world:
- Migraines are the 3rd most prevalent illness in the world
- 12% of the population suffers from migraines
- 1 in 4 households in the U.S. suffer from migraines
- About 90% of migraine sufferers have a family history of migraines
- More than 90% of those who suffer cannot function/go to work during their attack
- 85% of migraine sufferers are women
- About 10% of school children suffer and 28% of adolescents between the age of 15-19 suffer.
Migraines are a chronic disease and are physically and mentally disabling. It can cause depression, anxiety, and sleep deprivation.
Across the globe, treatment for migraines is rare and often ineffective. Migraines remain undiagnosed and under treated in at least 50% of sufferers, and less than 50% of sufferers consult a physician. In England, headache teaching is not in the curriculum for undergraduate medical students in 75% of English schools.
These shocking statistics serve to set apart Novera and clinics like it. Here at Novera we are fully dedicated to diagnosing and treating migraines and headaches, as well as jaw and neck pain. We do not prescribe medicine, but we strive to find a permanent solution for your pain. Migraines are a serious global illness, leaving millions of sufferers in its wake. Novera seeks to upend this statistic, and push back against the debilitating prevalence of migraines in the world today.